Fly Rod Tools Checklist
Download pdf here Fly Rod Tools Checklist
- I personally LOVE the book Handcrafting a Graphite Fly Rod, by L A Garcia.
This book has 80 pages of detailed step by step instructions for building a fly rod. The close up pictures are amazing and help describe the steps. This book doesn’t complicate anything for the beginner, it really focuses in on the basics of rod building with an emphasis on wrapping and finishing. My copy is smeared epoxy and the binding is slightly broken from years of opening. Highly recommended!
- A work table with good lighting
- Rat tail file
- If you are going to build more than one fly rod, I highly recommend getting a rod wrapper. I’ve built my in the past and have switch to the FLEX COAT HAND ROD WRAPPER from Amazon. My DIY wrapper didn’t have a moveable thread guide which has made wrapping much easier.
- Disposable brushes or blunt tool for applying finish **
- Single edge razor or Exacto ™ knife
- 5 minute epoxy
- The Best Rod Wrapping Finish in my Opinion is FLEX COAT. The folks at Flex Coat pioneered 2-part epoxy finish. With a history dating back to 1977 Flex Coat brand is proven.
- Mixing cups **
- Masking tape
- Wax pencil or crayon
- Tape measure
- My recommendation for a Rod Drying Motor is the American Tackle Fishing Rod Dryer Motor at Amazon.
- Sandpaper med grit 120 to 220
- Paper towels
- Craft pen or gel pen to mark the rod blank
- Threader **